Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Oh! Calcutta..


Calcutta happens to be one of my favourite cities mainly because of the large variety of food this city has got to offer, which ranges from India's best street food like chicken/ egg rolls/ noodles/ mughlai-parathas to authentic Bengali delicacies like aloo poshto and macher jhol

The first time when I went to this restaurant called Oh! Calcutta, The Look and feel quite didn't match my imagination/ expectations; I immediately dropped the idea of going-in and went to another restaurant in the same building. 

This time it was my uncle and aunt's anniversary dinner. The first thing which I liked about the place was the designer plates with the drawing about Calcutta on it; later I got to know it was only for show, they give you normal plates to eat. 

When I glanced through the menu there was not even a single dish which you find in any other restaurants. A complete authentic Bengali food menu from starters to main course to the desserts. I Immediately checked with the waiter on soups and they say they don't serve soups. So remember guys soups/ shorbas are not the part of Bengali food.

Starters, we ordered all kind of chicken, mutton and fish cutlets. Preparation was very different from the any other food style. Veggies ordered for paneer cutlet and a special cutlet made up of graded banana flowers. I tasted both veg and non-veg starters and trust me guys everything was extremely delicious. I bet, no one can have just one. 

In the main course, we ordered authentic Bengali style fish curry cooked in mustered oil, chicken curry and railway mutton (it comes from famous age old railway canteen menu) and we also ordered for coconut prawns cocked and served with tender coconut. All the dishes were very well garnished, and the decorations made it mouth watering. We all had a blast. Vegetarians relished the famous Bengali delicacy 'aloo poshto' and 'begunies' chopped fried eggplants.  

In desserts, we ordered famous Bengali rasugula and mishtee dhoi; you guys must not forget to have yummy hot malpuas with rabdi and ice-cream and barfi made up of date-palm-jaggery

Although, I was not impressed with ambiance that much the feel of Calcutta was missing, but the food covered-up for everything. We all had a great time relishing such an amazing Bengali food. 

Only downside is that they were running short on few items which was not expected but other wise on food & taste I would give them 9/10. 


No comments:

Post a Comment